Olivia

Olivia
1937 Buick Special

Me and Olivia

Me and Olivia
Click On The Picture For MOTAA Web Site

Me and "The Hell Bitch"

Me and "The Hell Bitch"
My 50th birthday gift to myself a 2004 Harley she is named after Captain Call's horse on Lonesome Dove.

I Want This Bike!

I Want This Bike!
Me On A 1942 Harley

My Favorite TV Show

The Location Of My Visitors!

Search This Blog For Schelley's Favorite Subjects

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Letter To The Editor Of The Minden Press


Cruisin’ For A Cure Wheels Through Time Car Show Sends A Big Thank You!

As the show’s creator and promoter I would like to thank the many, many people that came together to help me make the car show a success. Many of these people have been with me since 2004 and this is what now makes it run so smoothly. I am so thankful to have these friends that stand behind me and what I do. They are always there when I ask; it can be for the Minden Cemetery Ghost Walk or the Historic Residential District, the Dorcheat Historical Association Museum and anything else I come up with. They are always there!

Without Coca-Cola Bottling of Minden, Inc this show would not happen. They bend over backwards to help me in any way they can. I am greatly indebted and thankful to the Hunter family! I am very fortunate that Webster Parish Convention and Visitors Bureau sponsors this event for much of the show’s advertising expense. This show pulls in thousands of out of town visitors and those visitors spend a lot of money while they are here. What they spend on gas, hotel, and food makes a big economic impact on this area and that is what tourism is all about. The City of Minden Departments is another big supporter in all that they do to accommodate me in all my many projects. We work for a week to get the fairgrounds ready and they are there for me with anything I need.

Plans were made last year to change the format of the show to benefit two organizations that are important to children. St. Jude and the Dorcheat Historical Association Museum are important causes to me. In the beginning I set this show up to benefit St. Jude Research Hospital because I wanted a way to give back and add to what Minden already does. (To date the show has given $65,000 to St. Jude with another $8,000 estimated to be sent this year.) After the first two years I realized that because Minden already gives so much at the Minden St. Jude auction that it was extremely hard to get sponsors and silent auction items to support the show (a sponsorship for this show is as little as $100 to get your name on the shirts). To put on a show of this magnitude you must have financial support. I have a few loyal Minden sponsors that I can always depend on for any of my many projects I am so grateful to have them. It is because of this that many of my sponsors also come from out of town. These out of town supporters are friends of mine that are a part of the car club community.

I work year round promoting and sending out info on this show. This constant work is why it continues to grow. This year the name of the show was changed to “Cruisin’ for a Cure Wheels through Time Car Show” the words St. Jude were left off and the museum logo and information was put on the flyers telling people that the money would be divided. By changing the format I can do the car show in the future for many causes that I feel need funding if I so choose; such as Breast Cancer awareness, St. Jude, Prostate Cancer, Louisiana Burn Camp for Children, and the Dorcheat Historical Association Museum. In fact the “Boo Bike” Harley that benefits the Louisiana Burn Camp made its 2nd appearance at this year’s show. They have had much success in raising money for the camp by selling the Harley Davidson raffle tickets here in Minden. This show not only benefits our town with an economic impact but can benefit many other causes as well. I look forward to next year, plans are already in motion for another big year in 2010.
Sincerely,
Schelley Brown iluvoldcars@yahoo.com
Car Show 2009 Net Proceeds Benefiting The Following (501) (c) (3) organizations St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital & The Dorcheat Historical Association Museum, Inc.