Olivia

Olivia
1937 Buick Special

Me and Olivia

Me and Olivia
Click On The Picture For MOTAA Web Site

Me and "The Hell Bitch"

Me and "The Hell Bitch"
My 50th birthday gift to myself a 2004 Harley she is named after Captain Call's horse on Lonesome Dove.

I Want This Bike!

I Want This Bike!
Me On A 1942 Harley

My Favorite TV Show

The Location Of My Visitors!

Search This Blog For Schelley's Favorite Subjects

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Brown Family Reunion 2005

Family and why you just have to grin and bare it!

This year we had a family reunion as I’m sure many of you did also. Family reunions are a family tradition in many families in the World. I guess the older you get you begin to see the importance of these events. Ours was held where else but downtown Dubach, Louisiana. As my Daddy said once, “All roads lead to Dubach.” We rented the renovated Hamilton Warehouse in what is left of downtown Dubach. The new construction of the widening of HWY 167 was a little distracting but we did finally make it. My cousin Craig was so confused by the construction and all the demolition of what we once knew as Dubach that he ended up in Bernice before he realized he had past up the turn!
Once there we were excited to see about 90 Browns and Brown descendents. Everyone brought family photos and memorabilia to look over. I supplied everyone with my trusty back issues of the Minute Magazine. We then settled down to what Browns do best. If anyone knows us, you know eating is what we excel in. We had cousins from Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and Arkansas and of course Dubach attend this festive occasion.
To me reunions are nice but you look around and realize that you don’t have a good family connection with a lot of these folks anymore like you did when you were a kid. That to me is a sad part of growing up. My family is probably closer than most we do still go and stay at Aunts and Uncles houses on occasion. The parts I miss the most are the good old family vacations that we used to take. My cousins discussed the fact that we need to make more family time so that their kids will connect with us the way we connected with our Aunts and Uncles. We agreed that life is so short and we need to get together more often and make these kids come along for the ride. We may be older but we still can have FUN! We need to learn to leave the cell phones and the video games and just have good old fashion FUN! Get in the lake, have a picnic, stay in a cabin just go have FUN! I hope that within the next year more family time will be important to all of us as we try to get together again.
Family is all about staying connected to your roots and anyone that knows me knows that tradition and nostalgic journeys are what I love more than anything. I believe in keeping the history for everyone especially your family and the ones you love. Families are ever changing and that is important to remember too. Being able to adapt to new situations is a big part of families
and your happiness now.
Remember if your Mother & Dad or an old Uncle or Aunt does something that embarrasses you to death don’t worry just grin and bare it! It’s all a part of who you are!